Types of Publications:
I’ve made links throughout this page to Amazon.com. Each book bought through clicking on them helps feed me! But please support your local independent bookstore. A thriving and diverse book industry is the best support system both for writers and readers!
Forthcoming Stuff by Cecilia Tan
Updating this page on January 1, 2015.
I announce more details about ongoing projects on my personal blogs: blog.ceciliatan.com, Livejournal.com, and Tumblr. Fastest of all is follow my Twitter feed or public-follow (not friend) my personal Facebook. (I have a professional Facebook “page” also, but Facebook doesn’t actually feed the content of it to my followers unless I pay them to. Which I don’t.)
- “The Wanting” — new dark fantasy story slated to appear in 2015 in Dark Discoveries magazine.
- “Blood Ties” — a short story that previously had only appeared in my book collection BLACK FEATHERS will be reprinted in The Engorged Book of Gay Vampire Stories, edited by Steve Berman for Lethe Press. (Best title for a vampire antho ever, btw.)
- “The Mystery of the Bitten Peach” — a new story featuring the character from my “Dragon’s Daughter” stories, accepted by Joselle Vanderhooft for an anthology of supernatural lesbian mysteries, but I’m not sure when it will be out.
- “The Lion Tamer” — a new BDSM vampire story, to Lori Perkins for a BDSM vampire anthology not yet titled or scheduled for publication.
- Daron’s Guitar Chronicles — I’m self-publishing this web fiction serial over at http://daron.ceciliatan.com. New posts appear every Tuesday and Thursday, and every 100 chapters or so we publish an ebook volume. Six volumes exist so far. (See below.)
Forthcoming Stories, Books and Stuff:
Fiction Books by Cecilia Tan
- SLOW SURRENDER — Released in ebook on March 5, 2013 with the paperback following on August 5, 2013, this is the first of the Struck By Lightning romance trilogy for Forever/Grand Central Publishing (Hachette)! They are in the “BDSM billionaire” genre, which 50 Shades of Grey has made so popular, although if you’ve read 50 Shades you might have thought it was actually a little light on the BDSM? You won’t think that about my books…!! SLOW SURRENDER won the 2013 RT Reviewers Choice Award for Erotic Romance! Buy the ebooks from Amazon.com, B&N Nookstore, Google Play, Ebooks.com, or just about anywhere ebooks are sold.
- SLOW SEDUCTION — Book two in the Struck by Lightning trilogy published by Hachette. Ebook, paperback, and audiobook were all released simultaneously January 28, 2014. Excerpts, buy links, and more info are on the Struck by Lightning info page.
- SLOW SATISFACTION — The final book in the “Struck by Lightning” BDSM romance trilogy was published in both ebook and paperback on August 26, 2014!
UK Editions of the Struck by Lightning trilogy have been published by Piatkus Entice, and in France they are coming out from publisher Hugo et Cie. I believe Slow Surrender is entitled “Endless” in France and just came out in January 2015. (I’ve seen two reviews, which I can’t read but French-speaking folks on Twitter say they were good!)
- DARON’S GUITAR CHRONICLES — Six volumes of this series have been published so far in ebook, three in AUDIObooks, and two omnibus paperbacks collecting ebooks 1-3 in one and ebooks 4-5 in the other. DGC can also be read free on the web at http://daron.ceciliatan.com.
Kindle store links:
- Daron’s Guitar Chronicles: Volume One
- Daron’s Guitar Chronicles: Volume Two
- Daron’s Guitar Chronicles: Volume Three
- Daron’s Guitar Chronicles: Volume Four
Buy the Paperback: Daron’s Guitar Chronicles: Omnibus Edition paperback (Volume 1)
Daron Audiobooks at Audible.com:
- Daron Audiobook Volume 1
- Daron Audiobook Volume 2
- Daron Audiobook Volume 3
- The Prince’s Boy (Volume 1 of 2) — My gay swashbuckling BDSM erotic high fantasy serial romance. (Yeah, it’s all those things.) Published in two paperback volumes. Volume one came out in April 2011, and The Prince’s Boy: Volume Two followed in July 2011.
AND there are now Audiobooks of The Prince’s Boy, Volumes 1 & 2 also! (Link goes to Audible.com)
- ROYAL TREATMENT — A short erotic novel published by Torquere Press and starring Arshan, one of the two main characters in my classic story “Telepaths Don’t Need Safewords.” This is a tale of Arshan’s youth, shortly before he meets Mriah. He is called to serve in the court of the crown princess who is looking to bond for life with a slave of her own. The only problem? No “noble” scions consider themselves submissive, least of all Arshan. If Arshan is to escape being enslaved, it will have to be by his wit, guile, and sexual prowess, for he has no allies in the court. Rights reverted to me after three years, and so now Circlet publishes it. Get it for Kindle, Nook, All formats available for download and read an excerpt on circlet.com.
- EDGE PLAYS — A collection of BDSM-themed science fiction stories in the “Telepaths Don’t Need Safewords” universe. “Master Mind” continues the story of Arshan prior to the events in “Telepaths Don’t Need Safewords,” as well as several other stories and excerpts of books that take place in the same universe, including The Velderet. This was originally released as a limited run ebook as a fundraiser for the Erotic Authors Association, but is now re-released by Circlet Press in ebook form.
- MAGIC UNIVERSITY — my erotic paranormal romance series is being re-published in 2015 by Riverdale Avenue Books! Book One (The Siren and the Sword) was released in October 2014, and Book Two (The Tower and the Tears) is slated for January 19, 2015. Book three should follow in April, the anthology in the summer, and the fourth and final novel in the fall of 2015. Audible.com is producing audiobooks to coincide with the releases! Check out the Magic U info page for links, character lists, and other info.
- THE SIREN AND THE SWORD — the first in the erotic fantasy series, Magic University, a college freshman who arrives at Harvard only to discover the magical university inside the college where he truly belongs. Think if Harry Potter went to college and discovered sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Or at least sex. Originally published July 2009 in ebook format, with paperback in 2011 from Red Wheel Weiser, a new edition in print and ebook from Riverdale Avenue Books came out in October 2014 (with audio from Audible.com).
- THE TOWER AND THE TEARS — book two in the Magic University series. Kyle is a sophomore and needs to declare his major. “Esoteric Arts”–also known as sex magic–may be where his talents lie, but to be accepted into the department, Kyle must pass three rigorous erotic challenges. Slated for January 20, 2015 paper, ebook, and audiobook.
- THE INCUBUS AND THE ANGEL–Third book in the Magic University series. Kyle’s quest for true love and to finish his junior thesis become one and the same. Re-release forthcoming from Riverdale Avenue Books and Audible.com.
- THE POET AND THE PROPHECY — Book 4 in the Magic University series. Re-release forthcoming from Riverdale Avenue Books and Audible.com.
- THE HOT STREAK — a baseball-themed erotic romance novel,
came in ebook format in May 2009 Ravenous Romance. In 2014, Riverdale Avenue Books issued a new edition in both ebook and paperback formats.
- MIND GAMES– my first paranormal erotic romance novel was published in February 2009 by Ravenous Romance in ebook form, and in August 2010 in print by Red Silk Editions. The ebook can be purchased for download from Fictionwise, Amazon’s Kindle Store, directly from Ravenous Romance, or get the printed edition from Amazon.
- WHITE FLAMES — the “sequel” to “BLACK FEATHERS,” that is, my next collection of erotic short stories–was published in May 2008 from Running Press.
- The Velderet– The long-awaited erotic science fiction SM adventure novel is in print with Circlet Press. Visit the Velderet web site to read excerpts and cool background stuff about the book. I started writing this as a serial for “Taste of Latex” but after 6 chapters, the magazine folded. I eventually finished the novel for myself and had a fun time mixing the science fiction space opera with the S/M erotica. You can buy the eBook version of it direct from Circlet, buy the printed version there, or get it from Amazon (by clicking the main title above).
- Black Feathers: Erotic Dreams
Twenty three of the erotic stories mentioned below all
collected into one nice trade paperback from HarperCollins
Publishers. Went out of print in 2007 after nine years in print. The only way to get copies now is through Ebay and used resellers on Amazon (click the title above to go to the Amazon page).
- Telepaths Don’t Need Safewords
This tiny little chapbook of three stories is still a defining moment in my career and my development as an adult human being, not to mention the catalyst which launched Circlet Press and the sea change in the sf/f genre toward higher erotic and romantic content. As of February 2004 it went out of print after ten years in print. There is now as ebook edition of it, though! It is available from Circlet Press and so you can find it at all the major ebook retailers, Kindle, Stanza, etc. etc.
Nonfiction Books by Cecilia Tan (baseball)
First published in hardcover in 2004, then paperback in 2005, from John Wiley & Sons. I wrote it as a unique history of the New York Yankees, from the perspective of recounting the action of 50 of the greatest games in Yankees’ history. Regular season, World Series, heartbreakers, history-makers. The book got unbelievably great reviews, too–people really enjoyed the way I made the reader feel like “they were there.”
Co-written with my good friend Bill Nowlin, who has written a lot of books on Ted Williams and the Red Sox himself. Like the book on the Yankees, it recounts 50 great games from Red Sox history. Ironically, while we were working on the book, the Sox won the World Series in 2004, and we had to revamp our list of great games! All of a sudden our book had a “happy ending!”
Short Stories by Cecilia Tan
This is a list of most of my erotica and science fiction/fantasy short stories. Various stories have 250 words samples. I’d like to digitize myself reading them aloud as MP3s or something, too. Maybe someday.
Oh, one thing. If you find on this list that there is a work of my fiction not listed, or an appearance of one not listed that should be, let me know and I’ll give you a free book! I know there are things I forget. Think of it as motivational for the two of us. I don’t guarantee what book I’ll send you, though…
Roughly Reverse Chronological
- Novella “Sacrifice” appeared in the romance anthology SUMMER RAIN, published August 2014 as a fundraiser for RAINN. Sea trade with China brings a young woman, sold into slavery, into the life of a demigod in Macedonia in the era when Christianity is ascendant.
- Short-short story “Her Lover Is a Flame” to Rachel Kramer Bussell for THE BIG BOOK OF ORGASMS: 69 SEXY STORIES, Cleis Press, November 2013.
- Short story “Action,” a gay, near-future, magical realist literary story appeared first in the annual anthology for the Saints & Sinners literary festival and then was chosen by Peter Dubé for BEST GAY STORIES published in 2012. (It’s also an homage to actor Brandon Lee.)
- Short story “Window of Opportunity” for the anthology VOYEUR EYES ONLY: VEGAS WINDOWS, Published in February 2012 in Audiobook by SMOTP and paperback/ebook by XCite Books. This anthology was cooked up during the 2011 Erotic Authors Association convention in Vegas and includes stories from attendees at that conference, which was fantastic fun.
- Short-short story “Time,” to Rachel Kramer Bussell for the GOTTA HAVE IT: 69 Stories of Sudden Sex, published by Cleis Press in March 2011.
- Short story “What a Man Wants,” to Lee Martindale for the The Ladies of Trade Town
anthology, published in June 2011 by HarpHaven Publishing.
- Short story, “Bad Place,” to an anthology of gay-themed erotic sf/fRIDING THE ROCKET: TALES OF MALE-MALE LOVE IN THE FUTURE – AND BEYOND edited by Sascha Illyvich for Sizzler Editions. February 2011.
- Sold the story “Will Power,” to Fang Bangers: An Erotic Anthology of Fangs, Claws, Sex and Love, edited by Lori Perkins for Ravenous Romance. Published September 2010.
- Sold the story “Two Cocks, One Girl,” to Best Women’s Erotica 2011, edited by Violet Blue for Cleis Press. Fall 2010.
- “The Inner Game of Chess.” Short story in Richard Labonte’s Beautiful Boys: Gay Erotic Stories
anthology from Cleis Press. Amazon.com says it is in stock as of the end of October 2010 (official pub date Nov 1st 2010.)
- A story in Best S/M Erotica Vol 3: Still More Extreme Stories of Still More Extreme Sex!, edited by M. Christian, published by Logical Lust. Just got my contributor’s copy of the book, August 2010.
- “Thinly Veiled” is in Lawrence Schimel’s LOUISIANA VAMPIRES anthology. Submitted it literally over 10 years ago and book got put on hold, now it’s happening and voila! Very glad I still had word processor files of the story! Book arrived April 2010 at my door.
- “Improvisation” — a short story I originally wrote as a gift fanfic about some of our favorite celebrities for someone I know, has grown into a story of its own with the “serial numbers filed off.” Published in the I KISSED A BOY anthology of gay first-time encounters, edited by Lori Perkins for Ravenous Romance, appeared in March 2010. You’ll easily be able to figure out who the actors are I paired in the story if you know anything about my fandoms.
- “Man Enough” — my contribution to the LESBIAN COWBOYS anthology edited by Sacchi Green and Rakelle Valencia. Got to indulge my gender-blending kink here.
- “Soft Hands” — short story was published as a standalone at Ravenous Romance in January 2009.
- “Baseball Blues” — short story published as a standalone at Ravenous Romance in January 2009.
- “Seven Swans a Swimming” — erotic vampire short story appeared in an ebook anthology from Ravenous Romance called The Twelve Days of Christmas, each of the 12 stories in the book being a Christmas-themed romantic tale. Mine’s the only vampire one, go figure! Appeared December 2008.
- “The Spark” appeared in Periphery: Erotic Lesbian Futures, edited by Lynne Jamneck. The book had been slated for publication by one of the publishers that went under in the fiction die-off of 2007, and it was picked up by Steve Berman at Lethe Press. Came out March 2008.
- “Just Tell Me The Rules” appeared in Aqua Erotica 2, from Melcher Media in December 2005. Now, I know what you are thinking, there already was a sequel to Aqua Erotica, called Wet: More Aqua Erotica, but it didn’t sell anywhere near as well as the first volume did. So now Melcher, the packager who sold the first book, is doing another waterproof book, this time under their own name, and calling it Aqua Erotica 2 (distributed by Andrews McMeel). The weird part is that this time they didn’t insist on every story having a water theme, though, and instead went for a kind of nebulous theme about “crossing boundaries.” I ended up writing an erotic homage to Clive Owen. Go figure.
- “Seduction” and “The Magician’s Assistant” appeared in Best American Erotica 2005, edited by Susie Bright. They originally appeared in Five Minute Erotica, edited by Carol Queen (Running Press). BAE 2005 arrived in March 2005.
- “Halloween” and “Master Mind” — for N. T. Morley’s MASTER/slave anthologies for the Venus Book Club. These came out in 2004/2005 through the Venus Book club, and then was re-released by Berkley as a trade paperback. It’s two books in one! One which is all stories from the submissive women’s point of view, and one which is all from the male dominant’s point of view.
- “The Little Mermaid” appeared in the Mammoth Book of Best New Erotica, in one of the volumes that didn’t have a number so it’s hard to describe which one. The story was also a selection of RandomHouse Audio for their web site Audible.com — you can hear it online! Buy the audio download here.
- “Bodies of Water” later appeared in The Mammoth Book of Best New Erotica, volume 4, edited by Maxim Jakubowski (Carroll & Graf).
- “Bodies of Water” — a fever-dream story I wrote after waking up from a nap in Century City, CA, after channel flipping between a Discovery Channel show on deepsea archaeology and promos for Disney’s Atlantis… appeared in Marilyn Jaye Lewis’ Venus Big Book of Hot Women’s Erotica in 2003 (bookclub ed. only) and then the book was reprinted as the Blue Moon Books edition Hot Women’s Erotica.
“Touch Pain,” which was originally in Asimov’s, was reprinted in the U.K. in Necrologue: The Diva Book of the Dead and the Undead, edited by Helen Sandler, Diva Books/MPG. Fall 2003.
Two short-short pieces, “Seduction” and “The Magician’s Assistant” appeared in Five Minute Erotica, edited by Carol Queen and published by Running Press. Book arrived in November 2003 or so.
- “Lip Service” — a piece I wrote for the MOB chapbook “Edgewords” (which is available now as a book from @TheEdge publishers) is now in “Best S/M Erotica” edited by M. Christian, from Black Books. Came out toward the end of 2003.
- “Dragon’s Daughter” is appearing on an audio-tape/CD of sf/fantasy short stories available from Nova Audio/SI Images. Christmas 2002. Was originally in Firebrand Books’ “To Be Continued“
- “Thought So” — erotic story appeared in Best Women’s Erotica 2003, edited by Marcy Sheiner, from Cleis Press. Book arrived December 2002.
- October 2002–”Rough, Trade” appeared in Venus Bookclub anthology “Sex Machine” edited by M. Christian. Was originally in M. Christian’s “Eros Ex Machina.”
- June 2002 — “Rite of Spring” short story in Wet: More Aqua Erotica, from Crown Books — another waterproof book and the sequel to Aqua Erotica. Just got my contributors copies at the end of the month.
- April 2002 — “Crooked Kwan” reprinted in the anthology DESIRES, which was done in a very short run by AmirMira Press a few years ago, now being resurrected by the Venus Bookclub by editor Adrienne Hendricks.
- December 2001 — “La Money Girl” is in the anthology Hot & Bothered 3, ed. Karen X. Tulchinsky, Arsenal Pulp Press. Just came in the mail today.
- December 2001 — “Touch Pain” is in the Asimov’s (Isaac Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine) I just got in the mail. Yay! I think that means it will be on newsstands any day now, too.
- “Tune In” — an excerpt from The Book of Want, appeared at Nerve.com, along with an autobiographical essay about being the maven of erotic science fiction, “Double Fantasy.” (Thanks, Scott!)
- “Baseball Fever” — a story about a certain baseball player, for an anthology of erotica about famous people entitled “Starf*cker“, edited by the fabulous Shar Rednour and published by Alyson Publications, arrived in Feb. 2001.
- “The Little Mermaid” — in Aqua Erotica, edited by Mary Anne Mohanraj, a very intriguing and neat-sounding anthology of erotic stories involving water… published by Crown in September 2000. The book is waterproof, too!
- “Penetration” — appeared in the omnibus “Best of the Best of Best Lesian Erotica” (Cleis Press) and an Italian-language anthology in Italy, called “LATEX” from Mondadori, in summer 2000.
- Two sudden fictions, “La Money Girl” and “Tune In” excerpted from my novel-mosaic-in-progress (The Book of Want), were in the inaugural issue of literary arts journal BLUE FOOD. July 2000.
- “In Silver A” a futuristic cyberpunk story appeared in Absolute Magnitude magazine in April 2000. Hey, and although it has sex in it, it’s not primarily erotica.
- “Bullseye” in “The Academy: Tales from the Marketplace”
anthology, edited by Laura Antoniou (aka Sara Adamson) where each
story takes place in the universe of The Marketplace, the BDSM
underground world she created. Published in March 2000 by Mystic Rose Books.
- “The Hard Sell” — a short erotic story about a women in the ad biz and her unique way of processing relationships, is now up on the Fatbrain.com EMATTER site. There are some great stories by M. Christian, Hanne Blank, and Thomas S. Roche there as well.
- “Always” — a story that was originally in Herotica 6, now in Best Lesbian Erotica 2000, edited by Tristan Taormino and published by Cleis Press. Book came out in January 2000.
- “Now” — a slightly experiemental, erotic science fiction story, in the anthology VISCERA, published by good smut web site Venus Or Vixen. Edited by Cara Bruce. The book appeared in January 2000.
- “Drumbeat/Esprit de Corps” — a lesbian marching band uniform fetish story, in On Our Backs magazine. Just got the issue in the mail in December 1999. It also came out in the anthology UNIFORM SEX ed. by Linnea Due (Alyson Publications) in Fall 2000.
- “The Darling” — a short story, appeared on/at the webzine gothic.net in September 99.
- “Ziggy Stardust” in STARPHKR, the way cool zine of celebrity lust
edited by the fab Shar Rednour. Shar is also working on a book version for the zine with Alyson, and the story may appear there, too.
- “Lip Service” — a short story, in a chapbook/zine called EDGEWORDS, put together by the M.O.B. (all women’s BDSM community group in New England, the Massachusetts Orgasmic Bitches). Appeared July 1999. A New trade paperback edition from “@ The Edge Publishing” appeared in Fall 2000. For more info email EdgeEditor@aol.com.
- The sequel to “Dragon’s Daughter,” which I entitled “Hall of Mirrors” but which appears just as called “Dragon’s Daughter”
will be in To Be Continued 2, edited by Karen X. Tulchinsky and
Michele Karlsberg (Firebrand Books). Since all the stories in Volume 1
of TBC were cliffhangers, now they’ll publish all the sequels! I got my copies of the book at the end of April 99 so you should be able to find it now. I’ve now got ideas in my head for additional stories featuring these characters…
- “Always” is in Herotica 6, edited by Marcy Sheiner. (Down There Press.)
It’s one of the only stories I’ve written about procreative sex… and
polyamory, no less. Appeared about Feb. 99, I think.
- “Balancing Act,” a fiction story, appeared in the Winter 1999 issue of Blithe House Quarterly, the online
journal of gay/lesbian literature. Follow the link to get to their site.
- “Penetration” appeared in BEST AMERICAN EROTICA 1999, which
showed up in bookstores in late January 1999. The story was previously
in BEST LESBIAN EROTICA 1997.
- “Three of Cups” in BEST LESBIAN EROTICA 1999, selected by
Chrystos, series edited by Tristan Taormino. Book arrived in the
mail January 1999 and looks luscious.
- “Juno” in CROSSING THE BORDER, ed. by Lisa Tuttle for the
Indigo/Gollancz imprint in the U.K. Subtitled “Tales of Erotic
Ambiguity,” each story has some kind of gender twist or bend in it. No
word yet on whether the anthology with be published in the USA, but
I’m just thrilled to be in a book with Neil Gaiman and Angela Carter.
- “Three of Cups” in THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF NEW EROTICA, edited by Maxim Jakubowski, Carroll & Graf/Robinson publishers. This is the first
story I wrote using Tarot cards to determine character and conflict.
The book appeared in the UK first, and hit shelves in July 1998 in the US.
Two page sample available…
- “Rough, Trade” in EROS EX MACHINA, mechanical erotica, edited by
M. Christian, Masquerade Books. I just got the book in March 1998
and it looks nice. Two paragraph sample available…
- “Love’s Year” in HOT & BOTHERED, lesbian erotic short short
stories, edited by Karen X. Tulchinsky, published by Arsenal Pulp
Press. The book appeared in February 1998 and we had a nice launch
reading at OutWrite.
- “Penetration” in BEST LESBIAN EROTICA 1997, edited this year by
Jewelle Gomez, series editor Tristan Taormino, published by Cleis
Press. Two paragraph sample available…
- “Pearl Diver” in the story’s third appearance in print, in BEST
AMERICAN EROTICA 1996, edited by Susie Bright and published by
Touchstone/Simon & Schuster.
- “Porn Flicks” in Herotica 4 edited by Marcy Sheiner and came out in 1996 from NAL/Plume. I’ve also sold the story “Dragon Cat Flower” to Herotica 5, and a Quality Paperback Books edition compacting Heroticas 1-3 into one volume just became available through QPB. (1996)
- “The Nightingale” in Once Upon A Time: Fairy Tales for Women, edited by Michael Ford, appeared in October 1996. (Masquerade Books) Two paragraph sample available… The story I wrote was given honorable mention in the 1996 “Year’s Best Fantasy and Horror.”
- “Rock Steady” mid-1996 in an anthology of erotic fiction with a rock and roll theme entitled Backstage Passes edited by Amelia G for Masquerade Books. Appeared 10/96. Two paragraph sample available…
- “Daydreaming” in Switch Hitters, edited by Carol Queen and Lawrence Schimel, Cleis Press. This anthology is unique: gay men writing lesbian smut and lesbians writing gay male smut. (and some sundry bisexuals like myself in the mix, writing about the opposite gender) Got my copy in the mail in 1996 and it’s a strong collection.
- “Wonder Woman” in Porn Free “The Magazine Dedicated to
Getting You Off For Nuthin’” It’s a humorous story starring Wonder
Woman and a satirical commentary on anti-s/m lesbians. Appeared
in May 1996.
- “Crooked Kwan” March 1996 in an anthology of noir-ish erotic
fiction entitled Noirotica edited by Thomas S. Roche for Masquerade Books. Two paragraph sample available…
- “The Velderet: Part Two” chapter 2 of a cybersex novel being
serialized in Taste of Latex. Issue #11 just arrived the first
week of July 1995 with Chapter 2 in it. #12 will have part 3,
etc. This got up through chapter 6 before the magazine went on
hiatus. Circlet published the entire book, all 12 chapters, in summer 2001.
- “The Tale of Christina” October ’95 in Dark Angels an anthology of lesbian vampire fiction edited by Pam Keesey for Cleis Press.
- “Pearl Diver” Summer ’95 in On A Bed Of Rice: An Asian American Erotic Feast an anthology edited by Geraldine Kudaka for Anchor Books. The story also appeared in Ms. Magzine’s “sex” issue in Nov/Dec 1995, and will be included in Best American Erotica 1996 edited by Susie Bright.
- “The Velderet” part 1 of a cybersex novel in the now defunct Taste
of Latex magazine, Issue #10. (Taste of Latex issues 10 through
15 (?) were published by DM International, publishers of Bitches
with Whips and Kinky People, Places and Things.) But they
decided to stop publication and try to sell the magazine after several
issues. As such, only half of the twelve chapters of The Velderet ever
saw print. Circlet Press published The Velderet as a book in June 2001.
- “Whipmaster” in Looking for Mr. Preston a hardcover anthology in tribute to John Preston edited by Laura Antoniou for Masquerade Books. 1995.
- “Heart’s Desire” in By Her Subdued an anthology of erotic fiction about dominant women edited by Laura Antoniou for Masquerade Books. 1995?
- “The Game” in No Other Tribute an anthology of erotic fiction about submissive women edited by Laura Antoniou for Masquerade Books. 1995?
- “A True Story” in Herotica 3 an anthology of women’s erotic fiction edited by Susie Bright for Plume Books.
- “Jean-Michel and Juno” in the now moribund Paramour magazine vol 2 #1. Here’s a two paragraph sample.
- “Career Track” in Penthouse magazine July 1994 issue. Here’s a two paragraph sample.
- “The First Whip” in SandMUtopia Guardian magazine issue 17. Editor Pat Califia published it as fiction, but it’s more of an essay on my true life experience of getting whipped for the first time.
- “Summoning” in SexMagick an anthology of erotic science fiction from Circlet Press.
Non-erotic short stories by Cecilia TanYes, there are some, can you believe it?
- “Pitchers and Catchers Report”–a literary short story about a catcher in the Red Sox minor league system in the 1990s and the unique experience he gains at his first Spring Training. The protagonist is Kirby Wilcox, who later (in his life) appears in my as-yet-unpublished novel “Bambino Road.” Story appeared in “Further Fenway Fiction,” edited by Adam Pachter and published by Rounder Books.
- “Lexicon,” a literary short-short I wrote in grad school, appeared in Other Magazine, Issue #3. “The magazine for people who defy categories.” January 2003.
- “In Silver A” was in the Mammoth Bookof Future Cops, edited by M. Christian and Maxim Jakubowski, Fall 2003. It originally appeared in Asimov’s.
- “Eyes Open And Closed”–a short story, in the newsletter/zine of Borderlands Books in San Francisco, “Dispatches from the Border.” This very cool sf/f/h bookstore is worth a visit if you are in the city by the bay. The story also appeared in January 2001 in the sf/f web magazine “Strange Horizons” under another title “With Eyes Open.” (We changed it because of the Kubrick movie.) Later, it appeared in the Lethe Press anthology of the Best of Strange Horizons Year One.
- “Dragon’s Daughter” in To Be Continued, an anthology of lesbian fiction edited by Karen X. Tulchinsky and Michele Karlsberg, forthcoming from Firebrand Books. The stories in the book all end in cliff-hangers of some sort! The story is sexy but understated, with no graphic sex, which is, I know, different for me. Hit shelves in October 1998. Two paragraph sample available…
- “Larceny” a literary short-short appeared in Queer View Mirror, an anthology of gay and lesbian short-shorts edited by
James Johnstone and Karen X. Tulchinsky… launched in February 1996
at OutWrite. From Arsenal Pulp Press of Canada.
Essays and Articles by Cecilia Tan
These being mostly about sex, writing, or myself, or all three…
(FYI, Some of my older political essays are available to read on line if you visit my old Rants Page. )
- Couple of autobiographical sexuality and erotica essays came out in late 2001/early 2002, in That Takes Ovaries! (Ed. Rivka Solomon, Three Rivers Press), and The Burning Pen (Ed. M. Christian, Alyson Publications)… You can read my essay in The Burning Pen on the site of The Erotic Authors Association.
- August 2001 — I wrote the “Writers Bite Back” column for the San Francisco Bay Guardian ranting about how you can fight the right and censorship, but you can’t really fight the indifference of the corporate bookselling chains (Boredoms and Barnes Ignoble)–which may have the same result for fringe writers like me.
- “On The Altar” — an essay about my alternative sexual lifestyle(s) appears in Sex & Single Girls, edited by Lee Damsky (Seal Press). November 2000.
- “Picture This”–an autobiographical “coming out” essay, in A Woman Like That (Avon Books), edited by Joan Larkin, which is the
women’s companion book to Patrick Merla’s BOYS LIKE US, which was all
the coming out stories of prominent gay male writers. Mine tracks
the parallels between my coming out as bisexual and coming out as
an erotica writer. Appeared October 99.
- Several essays appeared in 1999 in Sandmutopian Guardian magazine, on S/M & Spirituality, on Self-Preservation and Accountability for Bottoms and Subs, and on the Difference Between Service, Submission, and Slavery.
- “Vampire Chic” an essay in issue #7 (Sept 1998) of Blue
Blood magazine. Blue Blood used to be in glossy print, but nowadays is only online. The web site is at www.blueblood.net//
- “Chicken Rice Stew” a recipe in the benefit cookbook FOOD FOR
LIFE, edited by Lawrence Schimel, published by Cleis Press. This is
one of the most amusing, funnest cookbooks I’ve ever seen, with
anecdotes and photos of various gay and lesbian celebrities and
writers (Tony Kushner, Martina Navratilova, Pat Califia, etc…)
Proceeds from the book got to organizations providing food to people
with AIDS. I think I’ll be giving a lot of copies of it for the holidays.
- “Why Smut Is Important to My Liberation (And Yours)” in SOJOURNER
Women’s Forum, an essay on why writing about sex and sexuality and
expressing eroticism through words is central to the tenets of
feminism, not against them. November 1996, Vol. 22, #3. Read the complete essay on-line here
- “Self-Tattoo How-To” in Blue Blood #6, appeared late summer
1996. This is actually a how-to I wrote on doing your own jailhouse
tattoo, with photos of me tattooing myself on a special occasion.
In a future issue of Blue Blood there is an erotic photospread of me and corwin doing our thing, too.
- “First” in Virgin Territory 2 edited by Shar Rednour. The second anthology of women’s sexual “firsts” of various kinds from their real lives. Mine is about the first really vivid fantasies I used to have about the first girl I had a tremendous crush on. It’s
not fictional, but it is erotica. Came out in February 1997.
- “A Ronin’s Journal” excerpt in The Servants Quarters zine
Issue #3. The Servants Quarters is a zine dedicated to the fine art
of submission and is produced by and for submissives. For more info,
write to email@example.com.
- “Bi Sex” essay in Black Sheets magazine Issue #7, special
issue on bisexuality. Black Sheets is the hip and irreverent sex
magazine put out by the same folks who compile and publish The Black
Book annual “yellow pages” style directory of leather/SM goods and
services. For more info, write to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can read the
text of the essay online.
- “The Bi Switch Revolution” Summer ’95 an essay in Bisexual Politics a collection of essays edited by Naomi Tucker for The
Haworth Press. You can read the text of the essay on-line.
- “Open Letter From a Masochist to a Feminist” an essay in Some Women, an anthology of essays by women into SM edited by Laura
Antoniou from Masquerade Books. You can read the text of this essay here.
- “Bisexuality and Polyamory” an essay in BiWomen the news
letter of BBWN (Boston Bisexual Women’s Network).
Baseball Articles by Cecilia Tan
These are, of course, those published in places other than (or in addition to) my online baseball periodical, “Why I Like Baseball”.
- Roster Preview — I write the Yankees 40 man roster preview every year for the YANKEES ANNUAL.
- Starting in 2006, I began covering the Yankees beat for Gotham Baseball magazine. I write feature stories, columns for the online site, and the like. In 2007 I wrote a weekly team report, stuff like that.
- “The Duel”–my piece on the Pedro/Clemens face off in 2000 on Memorial Day Weekend appeared in Harvey Frommer’s book on the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry, “Red Sox vs. Yankees: The Great Rivalry” (Sports Publishing).
- “Why I Never Played Ball”–essay appeared in the Dec. 21st 2002 issue of Slow Trains, the online literary journal. It’s the second baseball piece they have taken.
- September 2002–”Fan At Work” baseball essay appeared in “Slow Trains” The title is a take-off on George Will’s “Men At Work.”
- Article on the career of utility infielder Luis Sojo in Yankees Magazine appeared in May 2002. That’s “Yankees,” as in the baseball team’s official magazine, not “Yankee” which is some quaint New England publication.
- April 2002– I have two articles in Yankees Magazine, one on 1962 World Series hero Ralph Terry, and one on spring training instructors.
Visit Circlet Press where you can order many of the books and anthologies mentioned above. Or visit my snazzy Amazon “store” Right Here to do the same. Or follow the Amazon links in the text of the page. I’ve just gotten hooked up with Powell’s, too, so that those who are boycotting Amazon for various reasons (they seem to do something to piss folks off every other week these days…) will have another choice, too! Links to come.